Instructions for Applying for a Marriage License
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
IN CLAYTON COUNTY PROBATE COURT
PAM FERGUSON, JUDGE
Application for Marriage Licenses are accepted
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 3:30 pm.
- Both applicants must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Both applicants must appear in person and present a valid driver's license for identification OR a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- The cost for the Marriage License is as follows:
-With Certification of Premarital Counseling: $42.00*
-Without Certification of Premarital Counseling: $82.00**
CASH, DEBIT OR CREDIT ONLY. NO CHECKS ACCEPTED.
Surcharges apply for debit and credit card transactions.
In order to qualify for the reduced fee, the couple must provide the Court a signed and dated certificate of completion of a qualifying premarital education program. The Court has an acceptable Certificate which you may take to the premarital education provider.
Download Certification of Completion of Qualifying Premarital Education (pdf)
- If either Applicant is a resident of the State of Georgia, the Marriage License may be issued in any county in the State and the couple may be married in any county of the State. If neither Applicant is a resident of the State of Georgia, the couple must be married in Clayton County only.
- If either Applicant has been divorced or a spouse has passed, the applicant(s) must present a certified copy of the Final Divorce Order or Death Certificate, whichever applies, at the time of application.
- Translators are not provided by the Court. The Applicants are responsible for providing their own translators when needed and the translator must be 18 years of age or older. This individual must possess a valid photo ID. The translator will be required to sign an affidavit. Applications will not be accepted after 3:30 P.M. for couples using a translator.
- Probate Court does not perform marriage ceremonies. See the receptionist in Probate Court for a list of who may perform marriage ceremonies.
- Please take into consideration that it normally takes 20-30 minutes to complete the marriage license application; therefore, please arrive at the Court no later than 3:30pm to ensure that you have enough time to accomplish this process. Probate Court is located at 121 South McDonough Street, Annex Building 3, Jonesboro, Ga 30236. The entrance is on the West side of the building. We are located on the first floor.
*Under House Bill 378, a "qualifying premarital education program" shall include at least six hours of "instruction involving marital issues, which may include but not be limited to conflict management, communication skills, financial responsibilities, child and parenting responsibilities, and extended family roles." The program must have been completed within twelve months prior to the application and the couple must have undergone the premarital education together. To qualify, the premarital education must have been performed by: (1) a professional counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist; (2) a psychiatrist; (3) a psychologist; or (4) an active member of the clergy when in the course of his or her service as clergy, or the designee of such active member of the clergy, provided the designee is skilled and trained in premarital education.
When submitting your request, please specify if you are requesting a copy of the Marriage License or the Marriage Certificate for framing.*
*Please note the cost for a copy of the Marriage License and the Marriage Certificate for framing are both $11.00 however, only the Marriage License can be provided as a same day service. If you require a copy of the Marriage Certificate for framing, please note that you may request to pick it up when ready or it will be mailed to you at the address you provide the clerk.